About the Course
The senior production chef apprenticeship is designed for those working in production environments where brands, recipes and methods may be centralised and the working environment is quick, high volumes and requires a high standard of consistency in delivery.
Delivery method – 121 work based delivery.
What Will I Study?
- Understand the principles of food preparation and cooking, knife selection and handling, taste, diet and nutrition, and how to bring these together in a challenging and time bound environment
- Know the business or brand specifications and understand how to use them to create standardised menu items and dishes
- Keep up to date knowledge of product range, brand development, promotions and current trends
- Know the business vision and objectives and brand standards and the principles of business success by growing sales, reducing costs and maximising profit
- Know the customer profile of the business, who its main competitors are and the business growth strategy
- Demonstrate a range of food preparation, knife and cooking skills and techniques to produce quality dishes in line with business requirements
- Exceed customer satisfaction by maintaining consistency in product and service quality
- Prepare, cook and present food to agreed food safety practices and guidelines, ensuring a clean and hygenic kitchen is maintained at all times
- Ensure ingredients are stored, prepared, cooked and presented to deliver a quality product that is safe for the consumer
- Risk assess situations, identifying and isolating matters of concern, by establishing the cause and intervening accordingly to minimise any risk to people and comply with legislation.
What Will I Need?
Entry requirements to be set by employers, but previous achievement of Level 2 production chef or a minimum of 12 months relevant industry experience.
How Will I Be Assessed?
The End Point Assessment (EPA) will include:
- An on demand test
- Practical observation
- Professional discussion.
What Can I Do After?
Chefs will gain experience in an operational role, typically without supervisory responsibilities before progressing onto this apprenticeship. Individuals that successfully achieve the senior chef apprenticeship in production cooking will be ready to progress onto a higher level position, apprenticeship or further training.